Monday, July 1, 2019

INDEPENDENCE AND UNITY

INDEPENDENCE AND UNITY

Pastor’s Column
SS Medford
14thSunday in Ordinary Time


July 7, 2019

Happy Fourth!!!
How did we get here so quickly?  If you are like me, tempest fugittime flies!  I feel like I was just scraping the ice off my car windows!
The 4thof July is one of the preeminent and great American Holidays and holy days.  Sure, Independence Day is a holiday, but a holy day? Perhaps we could examine the controversy.  You know the one, where many became upset at the perceived lack of reverence for Christian faith at critical times during the year.  We lamented the "Happy Holidays" greeting in place of Happy Easter, for instance.  I must admit, I was one of them.
Let’s look at the etymology of the word, it’s origin:  
“The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg 
(hālig "holy" + dæg "day"). The wordoriginally referred only to special 
religious days. In modern use, it means any particular day 
of rest or relaxation, as opposed to normal days away from work or school”  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiday).

Hence holiday = holy day
            Happy Holidays = Happy Holy Days

I know, it may not be that simple.  But could it be?  It is possible that every day can be unique or blessed?  Especially when we have extra time to spend on recreation with our beloved?  Something to ponder…I hope you had a restful weekend and perhaps some good fun with family, friends….whomever.

--------------------

Today’s Second Reading from Galatians:  May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ” -  Saint Paul

Could I ask if you would pray for all of our service women and men, those in the armed forces and civil service- firefighters, police officers—all uniformed personnel.  Please call us or email to let us know who should be included in our bulletin every week.  
We all should celebrate our independence, but as the saying goes, freedom is not always free.  When you think of them or see them, let us try and say a quick Hail Mary or Our Father. This will help us too, in that we can become people of regular prayer.  
The Church has a fancy name for this kind of prayer- Aspirations.  For example, "Dear Lord, protect our uniformed personnel and protect especially those whom they serve.  May justice always prevail and may all who encounter those who serve to be treated with dignity, respect, and love."  Or more simply, “help those whose job is to help others”.
Many have paid the ultimate price for our freedom, going back almost 275 years now.  And many others keep up safe here at home.  We should not ignore that there is also a genuine danger to uniformed personnel as well.  We must never take for granted their service to us and therefore give them our support.
Finally, recently, I have become good friends with a young man who has just begun service in the United States Marine Corps.  He is a parishioner at my last assignment.
I met him at Church one day, and I invited him to come to Mass before boot camp for a special blessing and send off.  He came and continues to come.  His name is PFC Vincent Guidone, and he is in the picture above.
            One of the things we should do is help all of our service men and woman when they return home.  If any of you would like to meet me, a fellow veteran, please call to schedule an appointment.  I think the Holy Spirit can do wonders as we make difficult transitions or are dealing with crises in our lives.  Please call us or email to let us know who should be included in our bulletin every week. 
Finally, let us pray for unity in our great nation.  Our country was founded and prospered when our government has forged Great Compromises.  We need to find a way to be welcoming yet also safe and secure.  Let us pray for all refugees, those who regardless of the situation, find themselves separated from loved ones.  Let us find a way to become genuinely a united country!  Hope springs eternal!
Lord, may we never boast, as Saint Paul teaches us, except in the cross of Christ. May we bear our crosses willingly, knowing they draw us nearer to you.  May we always seek justice and never lose sight that absolute truth and justice resides solely in your kingdom.  Through the intercession of Saint Sylvester, we make our prayer, guided by the Blessed Virgin Mary to Christ, Our Lord, Amen.

Yours in Christ,
Father Suglia
What a gracious welcome I received last weekend from all of you whom I encountered, my first as your pastor!  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I am truly blessed to be a member of the great parish community of Saint Sylvester in Medford!!!  I am the luckiest priest on all of Long Island to be able to say that I am your pastor! Thank you to Fran, Tracey, Lori and Mike, as well as all the volunteers who made the hospitality after the 5pm and 11am Masses possible. 

Last week I thanked Father Tom Coby for his welcome, hospitality and preparing me for what awaited me here (all good).  Additionally, I would like to say what a great staff we have! I was able to meet all of them, both individually and as a group during May and June as I prepared to come to assume the role of pastor for this great parish.  Thanks especially to Fran, Justin, Tracey, Joanne, Estelle, Mike, Theresa, Lori for your welcome and “coaching”.  

Finally, how lucky we are to have three great Deacons: Deacon Joe, Deacon Frank and Deacon George who happily have been showing me the “ropes”.  
DAS+


No comments:

Post a Comment